February 2, 2011

Early Book Review: Darkest Mercy


Title: Darkest Mercy
Author: Melissa Marr
Series: Wicked Lovely
Length: 336 pages
Publisher: HarperCollins
On-Sale Date: February 22, 2011
Format: ARC paperback


If you have read the other Wicked Lovely novels then this review will not spoil anything.

Darkest Mercy is the fifth and final book in Melissa Marr’s Wicked Lovely series.
Each Wicked Lovely book tells it’s own story, and Darkest Mercy is the perfect conclusion.

Each book is a story revolving around four faery courts:  Winter, Summer, Dark, and High.  The Winter and Summer Courts are the embodiment of their seasons, the Dark Court is surrounded by emotion, and the High Court is bound to provide order.  Order and Discord take form in the High Queen, Sorcha, and her sister Bananach.  But, Bananach, being no longer content with discord, wants war, and War will go to any length to get what she wants.  The only way to stop her reign of terror is to kill her.  It is said, however, that if Order or Discord were to die than it would end the lives of all faeries.  It is too dangerous to leave Bananach alive, but can she be killed?

The Regents waited too long to act and now War is upon them literally and figuratively.  Everyone, (including in the readers) suffers.   War has power and she is winning.  The Courts have to pull together or they will crumble, and every Faery will either have to serve fealty to Bananach or die.

Every character is hanging off a cliff at the end of Radiant Shadows, and Darkest Mercy ties all the threads together.   There are choices to be made, allies to be found, battles to be fought, and loves to be won.

I'm writing this immediately after finishing the book, so please bear with me.  The only words I was able to utter 10 minutes ago were, "Oh my God", over and over.  I am shell-shocked.
I can tell you this right now:  I will not be able to do Darkest Mercy justice.

A while ago I was wondering if Melissa Marr was heartless.  She has no problem killing, (or torturing), any character, and I was reminded of JK Rowling’s Deathly Hallows.  I am warning you:  if you love these characters, as I still do, you will not read Darkest Mercy in a public place.
This is the final book of the series, so you already have favourites.  You are attached, and you love certain characters.  On the flip side, there are characters you want to burn in the fiery pits of hell.  Yes, I am personally holding a grudge towards Bananach.

Putting it lightly, I was (and currently am) very emotional.  This book broke my heart.  What happened to these characters broke my heart.  At one point in this book, I have felt sorry for every faery that is NOT War.  Right now, I cannot form words, but what they had to face ... it was avoidable and undeserved.

Melissa Marr has created amazing characters.  I want to live with them.  I want to keep reading their stories, but I think it is best that it ended they way it did.  I do not want to say anything that would spoil the ending for you, but I will say this:  If you do not cry, you will scream.  (I did both).
These characters, and the writing caused so many strong emotions that I couldn't contain myself.  Darkest Mercy is the first book that ever made me scream.  And I wouldn't have ended it any other way.

There was one relationship that I believe had a definite destination throughout the entire series, but EVERY other one surprised me.  You would have never seen what was coming, and then it changed direction again.  I was wrong in nearly all of my predictions.  You will not see anything coming, and I am so happy for that.  Everything was a shock.  And I love it to pieces.

Melissa Marr is as cruel as she is kind.

Keenan is a fool in love, but we already know that.
Irial is my favourite character and it is rare that I can choose.
Seth is driven, and kind, and the most pure.
Donia is strength.
Aislinn is hard and bright.
Niall is as terrible as he is vulnerable.
Sorcha is out of her element.
Bananach is crazy … As if I needed to point that out.

Darkest Mercy is a love story.
Is it tragic?  Yes, at times it will rip your heart out.
Is it lovely?  The loveliest.

I’m sorry that I didn’t talk much about the book’s content. But sometimes books make you feel, and I’ve learned that that’s okay.

Rating:
Premise: 5/5
Plot: 5/5
Writing: 5/5
Characters: 5/5
Overall: 5/5

Disclosure: I received an Advanced Reader's Copy from Goodreads after winning a contest. Receiving this ARC did not influence my review in any way.

Page number is tentative and subject to change.

5 comments:

  1. Great review! Thanks for not posting any spoilers. As you know I'm dying to get my hands on this one :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great review! cant wait to read it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The cover is absolutely gorgeous. I'm glad you loved the book so much. I'm a bit worried about the maelstrom of emotions the book will send me into, but it's good to know it's worth it. Lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This series sounds amazing! I've heard of it, of course and I have been wanting to read it for awhile now. For some reason, I just didn't but I'm definitely going to now! Your review is incredible, I can literally feel your emotions toward it. Lovely ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have only managed to read the first in the series, but I have them all and I must read them. Great review!

    ReplyDelete